"Running when pregnant", "what does it feel like to run when pregnant?", "does the baby feel it when you run?, "dangers of running when pregnant", "how far into pregnancy can you run?", "avoid abdominal separation in pregnancy", "injuries and running through pregnancy". What a barrage of questions! And yet these are just a mere few of the searches you would have found in my google history over the last 9 months.
I should note that I *will not* be offering prescriptive advice about what people should do, I will only be talking about my own
If I don't cover something that you want to ask, just get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org. Nothing is too personal or silly. Go for it.
So... click here for
- Q. Did you have any problems getting pregnant? I've heard lots of runners do.
- Q. What does it feel like running when pregnant?
- Q. Can you feel the baby kick while running?
- Q. Were you worried about harming the baby?
Part 2 (to follow soon)
- Q. When did you run until?
- Q. How far did you run in total while pregnant? Did you worry about max heart rate or distance?
- Q. I'm fascinated how you’ve kept doing intervals and even long commutes so far into pregnancy. Did you make a conscious effort to do that or has it been easier than others make out?
- Q. How early into your pregnancy did you notice it was impacting your ability to excercise like normal? Could you tell straight away?
- Q. Are you scared that you’ll never get back to your PB
- Q. You've mentioned support belts - what's that about?
- Q. Karen says: "Late to the party but always interested! I had to massively reduce my running in order to conceive after 3 years of trying, lots of fertility treatments, and finally after IVF I am thrilled to be a mere 1 month pregnant! How!!?! Too exhausted to do anything currently!!
And other resources:
- The Larns: Exercising in the first trimester
- The Larns: Exercising in the second trimester
- Veggie Runners: The Leeds Abbey Dash 10k while pregnant
- Veggie Runners: Returning to running after pregnancy
- Lazy Girl Running: Staying active during pregnancy
- Lazy Girl Running: Returning to running post-pregnancy
- Lindsey Hein: personal experiences and interviews with Alysia Montano and other pro-runners who have got kids.
- Neely S Gracy and rmher experiences so far of exercising while pregnant. Newly was top USA female at Boston 2016
- Tina Muir, UK pro marathon runner who has documented her journey from athletic amenorrhea to having her baby via stopping running competely
- Teal Burrell: USA runner's journey from 4:07 marathoner to Olympic Trial qualifier. Her thoughts on Trying to Conceive, Pregnancy and Post-Partum return to form.
- Runners World Articles on running while pregnant, fuelling, pregnancy race deferral, etc
- Sarah Canney - Run Far Girl on Pre and post pregnancy (marathoner and ex-bulimic)
Msfitrunner - 3 kids 3:41 pr. training for Olympic Trails
runfargirl - see above
Trigirl_For_Kona - 50 Marathons + Kona and a mum
Mcm_runs - Megan. pictures of running through pregnancy
Alysiamontano - Pro USA track runner, famous for competing while pregnant
My pregnant milage:
|week commencing||miles||weeks pregnant||notes|
|12/6/17||12.4||3||First race while pregnant - Maverick Gloucestershire|
|19/6/17||49.5||4||Sprained my ankle on the Saturday trying to do a trail run with Mr B|
|10/7/17||55.8||7||In Cardiff with work. Feeling very hot.|
|24/7/17||58.2||9||inc. 20 mile long run but couldn't hit pace 8'18/mi|
|31/7/17||41.1||10||inc, Orion forest 5 race|
|7/8/17||80.4||11||tough 18 mile long run after work|
|14/8/17||70.1||12||inc 20 mile long run|
|21/8/17||51.8||13||on holiday - found pace hard. 8'30 av|
|28/8/17||68.2||14||inc 23 mile run av 7'42/mi|
|11/9/17||48.6||16||Harrow Half Marathon 1:32:52 7'06/mi|
|2/10/17||46.3||19||Chester Marathon 3:13:07 on the 8th|
|23/10/17||45.3||22||longest was 9 miles|
|30/10/17||50.3||23||longest was 1o miles|
|6/11/17||42.2||24||longest was 12 miles with intervals. Felt it in the pelvis after. Time to cut back.|
|13/11/17||21.2||25||longest was 6.5|
|20/11/17||20.7||26||longest was 5.7|
|27/11/17||20.2||27||longest was 5|
|4/12/17||23.1||28||longest was 5.4|
|11/12/17||22.3||29||longest was 6|
|18/12/17||27||30||longest was 4.7|
|25/12/17||15.8||31||longest was 6.3|
|1/1/18||26.1||32||longest was 5|
|8/1/18||20.5||33||longest was 5|
|15/1/18||20.3||34||longest was 6|
|22/1/18||20.2||35||longest was 6.3|
|29/1/18||20.5||36||longest was 5.2|
|5/2/18||8.2||37||longest was 5 on the night my waters broke. oops|