It seemed apt that the week I decided to do a regular women's running round up on this blog, one of the podcasts I subscribe to did a feature one female heroes of the Marathon. You can listen to it here
The webpage to go with it has a great history and the episode itself highlights:
- Bobbi Gibb who ran Boston unofficially
- Katherine Switzer who ran Boston with a number
- Grete Waitz who ran her first marathon in NY, winning it and taking the world record in the process
- Joan Benoit Samuelson who won the first women's Olympic marathon
- Paula Radcliffe who holds the world recordof 2:15:25 (and listen out for the pronunciation of Loughborough)
There's a men's one too which is also interesting.